Blessed are You, Lord our G‑d, King of the universe, who has sanctified us with His commandments, and commanded us to kindle the Chanukah light.
Blessed are You, Lord our G‑d, King of the universe, who performed miracles for our forefathers in those days, at this time.
Sufganiyot (Jelly Doughnuts)
- 3 tbsp. dry yeast
- 1 tsp. sugar
- ½ cup warm water
- 3 cups flour
- ⅓ cup sugar
- 2½ tbsp. butter (or oil)
- 2 eggs
- Canola oil for frying
- Confectioners sugar for dusting
- Pour the warm water, yeast and 1 tsp. sugar into a small bowl. Set aside for 5-10 minutes until frothy.
- In a separate bowl, combine the flour, sugar, butter and eggs. Add the yeast mixture and knead until the dough is smooth and stretchy. Cover the bowl with a damp towel (or saran wrap) and place it in a warm place to rise for 1 hour.
- Roll the dough out to approximately ½-inch thickness. Use a cookie cutter, or the mouth of a glass, to cut circles from the dough. Transfer the dough circles to a parchment-paper lined cookie sheet and set them aside to rise for 20 minutes.
- Fill a deep frying pan or wide-bottomed pot with 3 inches of canola oil. Heat the oil to 350°F / 180°C. Gently drop the doughnuts into the oil and fry for 1-2 minutes on each side until golden. Remove and set aside to cool for a few minutes. Repeat until all doughnuts have been fried.
- Poke a hole in the side of each doughnut and insert filling (recipe below). Dust with confectioners sugar.
Yields: 20 doughnuts
Strawberry Filling Ingredients:
- ¾ cup water
- 5 tbsp. corn starch
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 cups strawberries
- Heat the water and slowly add the cornstarch. Once the cornstarch has completely dissolved, add the sugar and strawberries.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer. Simmer for 10 minutes.
- Let mixture cool, then place it in a piping bag, or a zip-top bag. Cut off the corner and squeeze filling into the doughnut.